I am not well versed in cooking with curry, but I saw the coconut milk at the store and really was craving to do something with it and some pork. I thought back to the days of living in Las Vegas and potlucks we used to have. Some Thai friends used to bring the most amazing pork dish cooked in coconut milk and a light curry. While I am not the cook like they were, I decided to try it out. From what I could remember of the flavors, this turned out very similar so naturally, I am excited! Even better was how easy it was to make in the slow cooker!
Things done in the slow cooker make me happy because I can throw it in before work and come home to it being done. This one, however, can’t be in that long or the pork will fall apart, so do it on a day when you have time to only leave it in for 5 hours. That way the pork will be tender, but not crumble apart.
|3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|salt and freshly ground pepper|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|5 garlic cloves, minced|
|3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger|
|2 tablespoons mild curry powder|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon ground turmeric|
|1 – 28 ounce can diced tomato|
|1 – 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
|steamed rice, chopped cilantro and sliced scallions, for serving|
Place all ingredients into slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 4 to 5 hours. Saute peppers and carrots in a little olive oil. Serve over rice and sauteed vegetables then garnish with scallions and cilantro.
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ounce one 28- can diced tomato
- 1 13.5 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- steamed rice, chopped cilantro and sliced scallions, for serving
- Place all ingredients into slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high and cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- Saute peppers and carrots in a little olive oil. Serve over rice and sauteed vegetables then garnish with scallions and cilantro.